Saturday, June 16, 2007

Fiction, Blog Fiction, and Just Thoughts

I’ve decided to go ahead and post all of "Bella Diana." I don’t think I can sell it because it doesn’t fit a market niche, so why not? I’m enjoying posting and illustrating it, and words and images are, first and foremost, for sharing. Putting it out there is also breaking the hold that this story has had on me ever since I started it. I don’t know why it's been so hard for me to move on from this particular story, but it has been. Even the Diana’s Diary blog, which is a sequel, didn’t help. But as soon as I started posting Bella Diana, the spell was broken and I could start to entertain other writerly thoughts.

Thoughts like what to do with "Tin Soldier." Even though it takes place in the same dystopian world and contains many of the same characters as Bella Diana, I think "Tin Soldier" is marketable. It needs one more good round of cuts and tightening up (got a few more darlings to kill!) and I think I’ll be ready to jump back on the query-go-round with it.

I’m also toying with other ideas for novels, I have a couple of short stories I’d like to tweak and pitch to the e-zines, and I’m thinking of creating a blog fiction clearinghouse site. The ones that are out there aren’t very good. What’s needed is a site that not only has links, but brief descriptions, viewer ratings and info about frequency of posting, last posting date, and status: in progress, lapsed, complete, in hiatus, etc.

So I’ve got lots of ideas milling around in my head right now!

As for Bella Diana, I’m doing daily postings, and will probably continue to do so until it’s all up. I know I said “never again” in my Lessons Learned post after finishing the “first diary” portion of Diana’s Diary, but this is a little different. With Diana’s Diary, I had no idea most nights what I was going to write, and I really burned the midnight (ahem- 3AM) oil on that one! But "Bella Diana" is complete, and I’ve got a lot of posts waiting in the queue.

So just like with Diana’s Diary, I won’t be leaving any readers in the lurch!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, how exciting -- sounds like you've got all kinds of wonderful ideas running around in your head. Things have been wild for me lately but I want to read Bella Diana. I so enjoy your characters and your worldbuilding. And best of luck on the "query go round" (great term! :)) for Tin Soldier. If you need a fresh pair of eyeballs, you know where I am, and I'm happy to help! :)

Bill Fullerton said...

I came over to say thanks for the feedback you left on my blog, Bill's Bilge. Then I got to looking at all you've done, are doing, and may do soon. Now I've got to go rest up.

If you ever have any writing you want looked at by a broken down old boomer, let me know. My e-mail addy is on the blog.

Bayou bill

Moby Dick said...

Good luck with your novels and stories.

Alice Audrey said...

I have a lot of admiration for you for having posted every day the way you did. Sometimes I feel overextended just doing one Suzie's House a week.