Saturday, December 20, 2008

Updates on Maelstrom and Other Things

Just checking in to let folks know I'm in the process of setting up a website for Maelstrom. Until I get my artwork, anything I do will be temporary, but it's fun to start working on the layout now so I'll be ready. I've got two more days of work (one and a half if my boss lets us go early on Tuesday, like she did the day before Thanksgiving) and then I'll have through the first of the year to tinker with the new site, write, and do other fun things.

In addition to the new site, I've got lots of new ideas for my main writer site, so that will likely get a "closed for remodeling" post over the holiday break while I do some mucking around and get ready to launch some new ideas.

Between now and Christmas, I'll be posting excerpts from my draft, so my friends can see how Ricky and his band of demons celebrate the holidays. Enjoy!

* * *

“Uh, Ricky?” Kalila waved a hand to catch his attention. “We have a question for you. Or actually, an idea.”

Ricky was immediately on his guard, but affected an expression of polite interest.

“We were wondering if we could go Christmas caroling.”

Ricky stared in disbelief. “You know what that is, right? Going door to door, singing songs about reindeer and Baby Jesus?”

Kalila shrugged. “Yeah. So?”

“So you’re a demon, pagan, metal band. You don’t think that’s just a little inappropriate?”

“But the songs are so pretty,” Nevin said.

“And it would be good publicity,” Kalila pointed out. “You could find a reporter to do a story about us spreading that holiday cheer stuff.”

“No. I just can’t see a vampire singing ‘Away in a Manger’ while you do guitar riffs in the background.”

“I would take my acoustic guitar,” Kalila said in tones that suggested Ricky wasn’t very smart. “Where would I plug in my amp if I took the Stratocaster door to door?”

“Look,” Ricky said. “I appreciate your creative thinking and your interest in marketing yourselves, but Christmas caroling is just not a good idea. Can you trust me on this?”

Kalila raised her eyebrows and exchanged a look with the other band members, but her words were acquiescent. “Of course we trust you, Ricky.” She picked up her guitar. “We’ve been making some changes to ‘Carrion Road.’ Want to hear?”

2 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

If I didn't know a little more than the average soul, I'd think this ended here. Instead, you've left me with a horrid feeling of foreboding.

Thomma Lyn said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

*snarfing white tea up my nose*

Love the Maelstrom excerpt. And Cool Beans, a website -- I'm excited! Can't wait to see it and to sink my teeth (bwahahahaha) into the story. ;-D