Thursday, July 19, 2007

Tagged!

Hi. It’s me, Diana Channing. Sorry if I’m a little nervous, but this isn’t where I’m supposed to be. My author got tagged by someone named Karen Alaniz, but she says she’s busy, and I should respond instead. I’m afraid to ask what my author is so busy with. She’s probably thinking up more trouble for me. So I’m going to try to appease her by answering this "meme" thing.

I’m supposed to write eight things about myself. I can’t think what would be interesting about me, but I’ll do my best.

  1. I know three languages—English (of course), Spanish, and Apache.
  2. I never knew my father, who was drafted into the resource wars when I was a baby and didn’t come back.
  3. I got my first gun when I was eight. It was a birthday gift from my grandfather, and he taught me to hunt small game near our rancho. This was something he used to do with my Uncle Nick, who was killed in the resource wars.
  4. My grandmother hardly ever left the house, although she didn’t use to be that way. She was in the town of Macrina the day of the big food riot and barely escaped with her life. After that she was always nervous and preferred to stay indoors and knit or sew.
  5. After what they call the Valle Redondo Massacre, I went to live with my neighbor, Amalia Channing, and her adopted boy, Will. Neither of them are kin to me, but Amalia encouraged me to call her Auntie, and Will let me call him my brother. I had no more living relatives, so it helped to have a family, even if it was one we made up.
  6. We lived for three years on the Apache reservation after leaving Valle Redondo. The Apaches owed Auntie’s family a favor, since her sister Carina was a veterinarian and had cared for their animals without hardly ever charging them for it. But once the Nativist faction got control of the tribe, we had to leave because we had no native blood.
  7. There’s a folk song about me, but it’s not true.
  8. I’m afraid to read what my author is writing about me, but I bet it’s not true, either.

Well, that wasn’t so bad. I can think of things I've done that were a lot harder. Naming eight interesting people I met on my journey to Kentucky would’ve been more fun, though.

I hope this makes my author happy. I don't know what I ever did to make her hate me, but I want no more trouble with her.

2 comments:

Bernita said...

A charming way to handle that ubiquitous meme.

Alice Audrey said...

I don't blame Diana for being nervous.